McAfee Internet Security 2011 3-User

McAfee Internet Security 2011 3-User

Customer Review :
The most helpful favorable review:


Last December I installed the 2010 version of this software and have been happy with it for my parents' computer...on their older Windows XP Professional computer, it's been reliable and unobtrusive, and easy to configure. 


Unobtrusive, that is, until it started reminding them to renew their annual subscription to the software. The problem is that the renewal price is pretty high...higher, in fact, than just buying the 2011 version. So, I figured I would get them the 2011 version and install it over the 2010 version. After all, the 2011 version advertises its new features, including increased speed. 

So, I sit down with my coffee, ready to start the installation process. A message comes up saying there is no need to install! Just enter the new 2011 license key, and it will extend the 2010 license for another year. In other words, apparently the 2011 version offers nothing new over the 2010 version if you've been keeping the 2010 version up to date. I'm not even two sips into my coffee, and I'm finished "installing". 

I like the software. What bugs me is McAfee trying to trick current users into paying too much to renew their software subscription electronically, when the customer could simply order the boxed 2011 version which really amounts to the same update, but at a lower cost.


The most helpful critical review:
McAfee Internet Security (MIS 2011)

I tried (McAfee Internet Security) MIS2011 after a long time (It has been ~6 years since I used MaAfee for virus protection) on my WinXP laptop (5 yrs old). MIS2011 is a comprehensive security suite. Its performance (virus detection and internet security) is comparable to Norton. MIS does have room for improvement in a number of areas (esp. resource usage), but still is a decent piece of software.

1. Installation: Installation can be customized from the menu(e.g. deselect spam control, parental control or firewall). Thankfully, installation does not require a restart of your computer, but it does take a while compared to other security software. On my 5yr old laptop, it took ~10 min compared to NIS which took less than 2 min.

2. Performance: MIS also has automatic updates, but installation of signature updates consumes resources even when running in the background. I was able to do minimal tasks such as typing, but browsing got significantly slow during the installation of updates. I haven't had any attacks. So it seems working fine. A system scan didn't reveal threats other than cookies.

3. Internet security: Upon a Google search, the results are marked safe or not with a green tick mark. However, sometimes it just does not show up. In addition, a 'status bar' icon indicates site safety.

MIS automatically detected components of my network (other PCs, router, NAS etc). Everytime I connect to a new wireless network it will pop-up a message and ask me if I want to assign it to a trusted network (e.g. home, work).

Several features are also quite customizable (e.g. ports monitored by firewall, which applications to connect to internet etc.), but the user needs to approve them at least the first time. Some are obvious (e.g. Do you want to allow Skype to connect to the internet?). Some may be not. The most recent version of Norton takes care of these automatically.

4. Other features: MIS does have a file shredder which is a nice touch. It also claims to have a 'Quick clean' feature to remove unnecessary files (I use the free 'Advanced System Care' which works great; So I didn't need to use MIS' quick clean). Additionally, if you register, you get 1 GB on-line backup storage for your files from McAfee.

Overall, a decent piece of software, not very expensive and while not resource 'light', seems to do its job well.

See more Information, click here:>>>McAfee Internet Security 2011 3-User

No comments:

Post a Comment

.................................................................................... letak script anda ....................................................................................